Tuesday, September 1, 2009

What should colleges teach?

As I was reading this article, i was shocked. Good writing skills weren't a big concern in the classes? What? Writing and reading are part of everyday life. It's like breathing, you need to do it. Everyone should be taught the impotance of knowing how to write (& speak) with proper english. In a way, it is simalar to math and science. We can relate those subjects to everyday life also. Maybe not that crazy graphing X and Y stuff but the formulas can be applied to almost anything. I've noticed more and more though, most schools, even at the high school level now, offer nonsense classes, almost like "hey come waste your time here instead of using it for another class that you could actually get something out of" I remember in my school, we had a Weight Traning class. Yes, I completely understand being healthy & in shape is important these days, but really if it's that important to you, do it as a hobby and definately don't take a class like that in college, thats like paying for an overpriced gym membership. I'm pretty sure most of us don't have money like that to just hand out for free, but I mean, if you do, I have both hands open ;). College's need to make sure that their students are receiving the education that they are paying for to be sucessful later in life. If students aren't sucessful in developing necessary skills, there's no way they will be able to be sucessful later in life. Stanley Fish made it seem simple. He said " There is a difference between not doing the job and getting the job done by another route." Meaning, it doesnt matter how you teach it, just make sure you teach it. Don't cover it up by trying to teach something else and completely skip over the important stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment