Thursday, October 1, 2009

Crossing the line?

So this morning I was driving home from my boyfriends house, listening to the talk radio shows. They began the news portion and the headlining story was about a man who was going to court today to fight the system.. here's the story:

The guy woke up in the middle of the night to some noise outside of his home. He saw another man trying to break into his car so he imediately grabbed a baseball bat and told his wife to call 911 while he went out there. Obviously, he hit the theif to stop him and when the police arrived at the scene the man breaking into the car was lying on the ground, knocked out cold and bloody from the other guy.

The guy protecting his property was arrested, taken to jail and charged with a felony. The policed said it was aggravated assult, while the the "bad guy" was only charged with a misdimeanor. I'm not sure about anyone else but as I was listening I thought to myself.."whaaaat?!" It just didn't seem right.

The police said that self defense is only "okay" when it's property inside on your home. So I guess this means you have to start parking your car in the living room like they do at the car dealerships? I mean, some people's cars are more expensive than their home, and they're going to say that you can't do anything about it, if it's not under your roof. Somethings not right there. Whether it's my car or my home, or even my freakin' bike for God's sake, if I paid for it, I'm not going to let someone else steal it.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? I thought it was rather twisted and backwards..

No comments:

Post a Comment